[SATLUG] mp3 encoding

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 08:38:37 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
> I have a question about audacity and mp3 encoding:
> When I load an mp3 file into audacity, delete sections from it,
> and export the edited file as an mp3 file back to disk, will
> this be a lossy mp3 compression (one mp3 compression on top of
> another)? Or will it write the same mp3 code for the sections
> that were unchanged in audacity?

That's correct, it will be a lossy encoding of the original MP3. While
I can't notice the difference some audiophiles can. My suggestion
would be to export the original MP3 file as a WAV, load the WAV into
Audacity, edit as needed and export as MP3.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility