[SATLUG] mp3 encoding

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Oct 29 08:53:34 CDT 2008

> Naturally, you'd want to edit the original WAV file and export that as
> an MP3.

My question was about starting with an MP3 file, not a WAV file. Of course
I would edit the wav file if I had the option. I want to know if Audacity
uses exactly the same MP3 encoding as the original for the unedited portions
of the file, or if it would try to re-encode it (with a loss). For example,
you can load a jpg or mp3 file and write it back unchanged, or simply chop
a portion of the file out without doing anything to other portions of the
file. And I want to know if Audacity can do that.

-b.