[SATLUG] OT: Help needed to identify an old part

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 09:35:46 CDT 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 09:15:48 Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> I picked up an external drive enclosure, but I need a little help
> identifying a couple of things.  It says 'DaynaFile' on the unit, but
> there's no model number or anything.  Here is a link to a picture of the
> back face of the unit:
>
> http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=983973&image=178278327&images=178278291,178278327&formats=0,0&format=0
>
> I'm guessing the data connections are for a SCSI (I can't be sure since
> I've never owned any SCSI devices before) -- can anyone confirm that?
>
> Also, there was no power cable, and there is no transformer inside the
> unit, so I suspect it would have 12V or 5V input into the box (i.e., the
> transformer is external) -- does anyone know what I should be looking for?
>
> Please let me know if there is anything else you can tell me about
> this.  TIA.
>
> Al Lesmerises

That's an old external enclosure with parallel port interface. The drive pictured in it is a 5.25" floppy drive.
It connects via parallel cable; similar type as used on many old printers. If you get a parallel printer cable, you will find that one end connects to the external enclosure ans secures with the clips in the picture. The other end attaches to the parallel port on the back of your computer (if it has one) - colored pink-ish and anchors with 2 screws.