[SATLUG] Local Library's Linux server needs help

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:59:31 CDT 2008

That's correct, and herein lies the 'rub' so to speak. If the primary usage
for these clients is internet connectivity, you will be limited by your
bandwidth before the WRT54G even comes into play.  Most residential/SMB
connections range from 1.5Mb to around 10Mb (there are others above and
below the average.)  With that in mind, a wireless B or 10Mb wired is plenty
enough for internet connectivity.  It isn't until you consider transfer of
files within the network that wireless g/n or 100/1000 Mb even matter (again
this is ignoring range benefits etc.)  With all that said, I would assume
the library has a DSL or business Cable (TWC? Grande?) connection which
probably tops out at 10 Mb/s.  As Brian pointed out, the client limit on a
WRT54G is 254 clients with the default DHCP lease pool set at 50 addresses.
The only limitation you may see with the WRT54G is that you may have more
than 4 wired connections and may have to throw an unmanaged (dumb) switch in
there with more ports to handle additional wired clients.  I have set up a
few coffee shops/internet cafes with simple WRT54Gs and they work like a
charm. Last I remember, the default firmware doesn't allow for QoS, but
flashed with DDWRT or HyperWRT, the unit becomes infinitely more powerful
and flexible.  You would be surprised how robust a WRT54G actually is.  Too
bad the small business editions of their wireless N routers with VPN don't
work nearly as well. I can say, however, that linkysys has pretty much
perfected the WRT54G over time and trial.  I would highly recommend it for
this situation unless you know of something that is a show stopper in the
library's current setup.  The way I would do it is hook up the WRT54G to the
modem, hook up the server to one of the LAN ports, then grab an unmanaged
switch and plug the wired clients into that (assuming there are more than 3)
while in turn 'uplinking' that switch to the WRT54G.  This setup should be
more than enough for the library.  Also, the default dhcp lease pool starts
at .100 (IIRC), so .2-.99 should be good for any static IPs that you need to
use.  HTH

Ernest