[SATLUG] for sale

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:12:43 CDT 2008

I have to admit that I'm elated at the fact that the 'netbook' market has
exploded.  Ever since I laid eyes on one of these tiny Sony laptops back in
the late 90s (the model eludes me at the moment,) I knew there was a huge
market for these things.  Naturally, the biggest barrier was cost back
then.  I recently picked up an Asus EEEPC which was used 3 times (at half
the cost new) and I'm pretty impressed with it. My main reason for buying it
was travel. It weighs around 2 pounds and has everything I need already
installed. After sitting around one day and thinking about what I would want
in such a 'netbook' it came down to 2 things as absolute necessities and 1
nice to have.  I absolutely needed a full featured web browser (like FF) and
a terminal.  An office suite (or word processing app at the least) was a
nice to have, but I mainly use google apps now adays.  As it turns out, the
EEE had exactly what I needed in its default form.  I boot Pupeee off an
SDHC card (to RAM) and it absolutely flies. One blogger/writer had recently
termed this new 'netbook' market explosion as 'the race to the bottom,' and
I kind of like that approach. I've always said that we had let our machines
(collectively) get out of hand (as far as power consumption and resource
usage) due to bloated inefficient software. Hopefully this new phenomenon
will cause overall efficiency to increase and software bloat to decrease.
Longer battery life is a great benefit as well. Although I like the EEE, I
will be getting the new Dell Inspiron 910 (assuming the specs/price line up
well.)  They are rumored to start selling on Sept. 4.  They were previously
rumored to start selling on Aug. 22, but you know how these internet rumors
go. At any rate, I think the netbook market is one of the greatest things
that could have happened to Linux (which works well on under-powered
hardware) and I look forward to what this will bring.  There is no way to
get Vista to work on one of these things, so it seems as if M$ will have to
rely on XP to battle with the lean and mean linux distributions.  We already
know where that will end up.

Ernest