[SATLUG] Re: Linux Desktop is a valid choice

K. Reginald Buckner buckmiester35 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:25:50 CDT 2008

> Your being a tad too critical and misleading.
>
> You can use 2k/xp programs on vista. I do every day on my laptop (tri boot
> of vista, ubuntu and whenever I'm playing with this week).

No I am not too critical of Microsoft Vista because I did say it was about
personal choice. This was a response to the question is Vista a good
alternative to Linux not to put down Vista or Microsoft. Anybody that
chooses to use it can and should.

When I said be careful about using Vista programs, I wasnt making the
statement for someone who is not savvy about Windows. Yes some 2k/XP
programs can run in Vista in compatiblity mode but not all device drivers
written for 2k/XP will function. I was putting Linux Desktop in a context as
a total cost of ownership not saying Vista is a bad OS. It does have several
built in functions from speech recognition to BitLocker. Window Media Player
is a great multimedia tool.

I am not trying to overhwelm someone who cannot
afford to pay the privilege of Vista and the hardware to go with it a
rationale for using Linux. You can dual boot linux and vista and use either
but be prepared to spend enough money to do it properly. No one can tell a
person who knows Vista it is less expensive than Linux to use because it is
not.

IMHO

Microsoft has an interoperability agreement with a Major Linux Distro
(Novell). So that tells anyone that Linux desktop must be revelant as a peer
OS. Microsoft is not even writing off Linux Desktop as a valid choice so
that must speak volumes because will not do that for MAC OS X....