[SATLUG] for sale

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 00:04:47 CDT 2008

Saw that last one didn't go to the list:

I think all of this is a direct result of the evolution of the internet to
provide applications in public space. Mozilla, Google, and M$ (thought they
may not admit it) have realized that the OS has become a commodity of late.
With the broad acceptance of cloud computing (in its user and commercial
forms) the browser is the new 'os.'

I find it hilarious that so many people swore that google was developing
their own OS.  In a way they were, and now we have Chrome. They saw that the
browser is the key to unlocking the full potential of the web. They needed a
direct competitor to IE8 that could possibly unseat it. I also like the fact
that they went minimalist, light and fast.  Again, this is contributing to
the trend of 'the race to the bottom.'

Some people are still tied to desktops/laptops because their employers
demand it, or they are the last of the remaining PC gamers out there that
single handedly keep Nvidia in business.  To this day I swear Blizzard and
EA own some large undisclosed stake in Nvidia and/or ATI. They are the ones
propagating the scam that is continual hardware upgrades.  I gave up on
'high-end' PC gaming years ago when the original xbox came out, and with my
PS3 and 360, I will never go back. If I can't play the game on a modest
machine, then I get it on console.  Besides, 90% of today's games are all
about the graphics and gameplay takes a backseat.

The UMPC/Netbook/Netop/Whatever you want to call it market segment is
definitely exploding. The bottom line is that people want more battery life
and better efficiency. The new Dell Lattitudes with the 'InstatOn' or
whatever they call it (embedded Linux) state that they now measure battery
life in terms of days, not hours, when booted into this embedded
environment.  With windows, it's back down to hours. The trend is definitely
headed toward mainstream Linux adoption, and I don't think the improvements
in the GUI or 'user experience' are the primary cause.  I really think it's
the known resource efficiency that is driving the higher adoption rates.

For a while there, I got so into the 'reduce power consumption' phase, that
I hacked my NSLU2 to be a web server that runs on 2 watts.
http://picasaweb.google.com/edeleonjr/UVPC?authkey=vKndmoSU74g#5234959296700110482
It was fun while I was toying with it, but I needed a little bit more
power.  Wouldn't you believe it Dell came through with the new Studio
Hybrid?  They basically tried to make a Mac Mini by cramming commodity
laptop parts into a small case (about the size of an external 3.5" CD ROM
drive) and having it beat the mac mini at every price/performance point
starting at $499.  I got one and will be switching over from the NSLU 2 to
the new Studio Hybrid.
http://picasaweb.google.com/edeleonjr/StudioHybrid?authkey=U3CDuMb1dlI#
This system is essentially a laptop, so it has a regular laptop external
power brick (also improves cooling) and it is virtually silent.  I can't say
how much I love this thing.  It also sips power compared to a regular
desktop.

I guess my long point is that the reduction of power consumption is the best
thing that has happened (and could continue to happen) for the computing
industry.  Coupled with technological advances in battery performance, I
think that we can easily hit the 'all day' usability mark for all modern
laptops. There are performance, productivity and environmental benefts all
along the way, and I'm excited to see the industry head this way.

BTW Tweeks, I agree with you about the automobile/performance trend. All we
seem to do is give kids better ways to kill themselves every generation of
cars.  Out here in California it is even more evident because kids can
afford cars like corvettes (due to inflated wages) and they are always
popping up in the news.  It's always a teenage kid that flipped a vette or
wrapped it around a telephone poll.  The only time the age is in the 20s or
higher is when alcohol is involved. I look back on my younger days and just
shake my head and thank the big systems engineer in the sky that I made it
out alive. I was actually glad to see gas prices around 5 dollars.  It
forces people to think about what they are doing and make more sound
choices.

--
Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com