[SATLUG] for sale

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 3 07:14:16 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 00:36 -0500, John Choate wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 23:22:28 Tweeks wrote:
> > Same thing on laptops.  I've always thought that those giant 15-17"
> > behemoths were vulgar and backward thinking from what the "laptop" was
> > designed for (originally a backlash to the "luggable/everything" PC market
> > from the 80's). I mean 17" gamer laptops are the "new luggables", if you
> > will:
> > WAS:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kaypro.jpg
> > IS:     http://tinyurl.com/5psyg7
>
> Hehe... that Kaypro reminds me of my uncle (who never throws ANYTHING away).
> I'm willing to bet that he still has his two Osborne's which he bought brand
> new in 1981 :)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Osborne1.jpg

When we formed SATLUG, I was using a Kaypro II CP/M box as the terminal
for my Mac LC 550 that was running NetBSD.  In the early 1980's I was
lugging Kaypro 2's [1] and Kaypro II's [2] (they had different BIOSes
and couldn't boot each others CP/M system disks) around until the GRiD
Compass came out.  After lugging a pair of Kaypro II's through customs
at Miami Int'l Airport, I was really glad to get the GRiD laptops, but
their excellent Grid-OS was later replaced with DOS.

For smaller laptops, I was really happy with the 2.5 pound Samsung built
Dell Latitude X1 [4] and it ran Linux great right out of the box.  I
wrote a review of this kit for Toms Hardware Guide [5] a few years ago.

[1] http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/reach/435/kpro10.htm#kpro2
[2] http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRiD_Compass
[4] http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,1780382,00.asp