[SATLUG] help joining two dvd's into one file

toddwbucy at grandecom.net toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Sep 8 08:27:11 CDT 2008

Quoting Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>
> wrote:
> > I have finally gotten around to putting the Lord of The Rings: Two
> > Towers on my mythbox.  problem is I have the extended version of the
> > movie.  This version comes on two DVD.  I need a way to take the ripped
> > vob files from both dvds and transcoding them into one file.  The way I
> > have tried to do this in the past was to use dvdrip to rip and transcode
> > both dvds into avi format. Then import them into knio, which changes
> > them into dv format, and splicing them together then transcoding them
> > into mpeg2. This gets the job done but its a pain in the butt and I am
> > loosing picture quality in the process.  I know that there has to be a
> > better way.
>
> Rename the VOB files with an .mpeg extension and use dvdauthor to
> recombine them into a DVD layout:
>
> dvdauthor -t -o Rings -c vob1.mpg -c vob2.mpg -c vob3.mpg
>
> dvdauthor -T Rings
>

> --
> Jeremy Mann

ok I tried this and I got a timestamp error  here is what I did:

@homestudio:~/Desktop$ dvdauthor -t -o The Lord of the Rings the two towers -c
LOTR_2Towers_1.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_2.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_3.mpg -c
LOTR_2Towers_4.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_5.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_6.mpg -c
LOTR_2Towers_7.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_8 -c LOTR_2Towers_9.mpg -c
LOTR_2Towers_10.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_11.mpg -c LOTR_2Towers_12.mpg -c
LOTR_2Towers_13.mpg

this is the output:
DVDAuthor::dvdauthor, version 0.6.14.
Build options: gnugetopt magick iconv freetype
Send bugs to <dvdauthor-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

ERR:  Cannot parse chapter timestamp 'LOTR_2Towers_1.mpg'

thanks for any help
Todd