[SATLUG] Local Library's Linux server needs help

Sean Crandall sean.crandall at ieee.org
Tue Sep 9 09:46:56 CDT 2008

Carl Muellner wrote:
>> Message: 7
>> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 08:08:37 -0500
>> From: Ian <ian69 at comcast.net>
>> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Local Library's Linux server needs help
>>        <satlug at satlug.org>
>>
>> Chris wrote:

>> server

>> Right after the dangling preposition.   ;)
>

> A dangling preposition!?!?!
>
> That is something up with which I simply will not put!
>
> :o)

Okay, I'm not much fun, but I've had partners "correct" my grammar with
this (along with things like starting sentences with "And" "But" and
"So").  So here is the real deal from one of the masters of writing style:

"The spurious rule about not ending sentences with proposition is a
remnant of Latin grammar, in which a preposition was the one word that a
writer could not end a sentence with [note that this sentence ends with
a preposition].  But Latin grammar should never straitjacket English
grammar.  If the SUPERSTITION is a "rule" at all, it is a rule of
rhetoric and not of grammar, the idea being to end sentences with strong
words that drive a point home.  That principle is sound, of course, but
not to the extent of meriting lockstep adherence."

 From Bryan A. Garner, _The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and
Style_, p. 266 (Oxford University Press 2000).

So go to town!  End sentences with prepositions!  And start sentences
with "And" "But" and "So."  Your middle school English teacher didn't
know what she was talking about!  Really!  (Side note:  Use exclamation
points sparingly)

Also, since this is a LUG, um, comment your shell scripts.

--
Sean Crandall---Registered Patent Attorney No. 57,776.  This e-mail does
not constitute legal advice on any matter and is not endorsed by Jackson