[SATLUG] Low-cost Internet Access

Arthur Hall art.hall at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 9 16:03:24 CDT 2008

Our church is sponsoring some refugee families.  Among other things, they could use computers to give them Internet access and practice at seeing and interpreting English.  I have two older PCs ready to give them; one has Ubuntu 8.04 installed and the other has Windows 98.  (Ubuntu continued to hang up in installation, so I left the old OS in.)
The question is this: What is the least expensive way for them to get Internet access?  They have phone lines, so a dial-up connection could be available.  AOL wants $9.99 or $11.99 per month, depending on how much customer service is available, for an Internet connection.  Is there a dependable, relatively trouble-free, less expensive way to go?  Thanks in advance for the help.