[SATLUG] Low-cost Internet Access

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:54:56 CDT 2008

Arthur Hall wrote:
> Our church is sponsoring some refugee families.  Among other things, they could use computers to give them Internet access and practice at seeing and interpreting English.  I have two older PCs ready to give them; one has Ubuntu 8.04 installed and the other has Windows 98.  (Ubuntu continued to hang up in installation, so I left the old OS in.)
> The question is this: What is the least expensive way for them to get Internet access?  They have phone lines, so a dial-up connection could be available.  AOL wants $9.99 or $11.99 per month, depending on how much customer service is available, for an Internet connection.  Is there a dependable, relatively trouble-free, less expensive way to go?  Thanks in advance for the help.

I've had good luck with these folks for mostly-reliable dial up service.
http://www.atnisp.com/internetservices.asp

I wouldn't put Win98 online, it's just too insecure.  Try Debian, PC-BSD
or KateOS (in that order) until one of them works.  The easiest way to
install Debian is via the net install (on your fast connection).  You'll
probably be best served by an external modem; in my experience they're
much easier to configure and use.

I've got some older computers but I'm quite certain you could find
newer, better ones in San Antonio.  It's a long drive to Tow (2 hours
from SA) and about anything would outperform an AMD K6-2/500 or a 450
MHz Celeron.