[SATLUG] Check for memory type

gboswell gboswell at cis.sac.accd.edu
Sat Sep 13 10:25:41 CDT 2008

> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Check for memory type
> To: satlug at satlug.org
>
> On Monday 08 September 2008 04:43:11 pm pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> > This may sound like a stupid question, but is there any way to tell
>> > whether my machine uses 5300 0r 6400 ram? I tried looking in the System
>> > Monitor but all it told me was that I had 2Gb, not which speed it uses.
>>

> try "lshw |grep -A10 bank:"
>
> Tweeks

I confess I have not been following this thread closely but when I
tried, as root,  lshw on my fc8 and centos I get command not found. Is
that command in a update or special download  or  are  we  talking  a
completely  different  linux  distro.  I know  don't ask  questions if
you haven't  been  following the  thread....... Well  I went back and
read the thread and in fc8  demidecode  does  work but not in centos 5
> [root at localhost ~]# lshw
> -bash: lshw: command not found
> [root at localhost ~]# uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25
> 13:49:24 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [root at localhost ~]# demidecode
> -bash: demidecode: command not found
> [root at localhost ~]#
I thought centos was a RHEL equal. I guess that is what I get for thinking.

I could not find either in the FC4 I have running on another box so it
maybe there is a package or set of packages that needed to install that
include these and similar commands. By chance anyone know which ones or
the set. I can yum/rpm each command but since I do install the hardware
admin in the selection of packages in the install I'm troubled as to
what am I not including that has such awesome capabilties.

Thanks
Boz

Glenn Boswell "Boz"      gboswell at mail.accd.edu
gboswell at cis.sac.accd.edu {class related}
San Antonio College  Dept. CIS (210)-733-2866

Freedom is not Free, let us not Forget!

"We make a living by what we Get.
 We make a LIFE by what we GIVE." Sir Winston Churchill