[SATLUG] Linux-Friendly Printers & Scanners

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:29:35 CDT 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008 14:00:26 Don Crowder wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> > I have a new system I want to set-up for my wife, but the drivers for
> > her Lexmark printer-scanner are not ready for prime time.  Since it's
> > several years old, I figured it might be more practical to find a unit
> > that was more Linux-friendly (rather than wait until the drivers are
> > more refined -- which they may never be).
> >
> > What I would like to know is what are your experiences (collectively)
> > with various brands and/or specific models of scanners & printers and
> > what I should be looking for in a new unit.  If possible, I would prefer
> > to go with an all-in-one unit, for space-saving reasons.
>
> My experience is that just about any HP printer is essentially "Plug and
> Play" in Linux and I've set up enough of them to represent a valid sample.

HP is best. New models are usually supported within a month or so of release.
Most any model you get will already be supported with HP's unified driver.
If you get a new model, go here for the latest HP driver, hplip:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/
Standard inkjets, All-in-ones (PSC models), OfficeJets, etc. are all covered.
I got an OfficeJet J6450 back in May at Costco, and the new hplip release supported it beautifully across my wireless network and even installed Fax support and scanning with sane.

John C