[SATLUG] Linux-Friendly Printers & Scanners

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 16:26:23 CDT 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008 13:37:11 Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> I have a new system I want to set-up for my wife, but the drivers for
> her Lexmark printer-scanner are not ready for prime time.  Since it's
> several years old, I figured it might be more practical to find a unit
> that was more Linux-friendly (rather than wait until the drivers are
> more refined -- which they may never be).
>
> What I would like to know is what are your experiences (collectively)
> with various brands and/or specific models of scanners & printers and
> what I should be looking for in a new unit.  If possible, I would prefer
> to go with an all-in-one unit, for space-saving reasons.
>
> TIA.
>
> Al Lesmerises

Most of the time, for HP, simply having cups and hplip installed is fine.

If you get an HP printer and need to install the latest hplip driver from http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ (for a very recent model printer), be sure to have the following installed:
cups-devel
libusb-devel

optional:
sane-devel (for scanning with an all-in-one, photosmart, psc, or officejet)
libnetsnmp-devel or libnet-snmp-devel