[SATLUG] gpg

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Sep 15 00:16:17 CDT 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008 03:15:22 pm Brian McKinney wrote:
> someone explain a "key signing session" to me please? :)
> -Brian

The WHY is to establish a "web of trust":
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust

A "Web of Trust", in a nut shell, is a decentralized grass roots trust model
is an alternative to the centralized trust model of a public key
infrastructure (PKI), which relies exclusively on a certificate authority (or
a hierarchy of such, like what verisign/SSL certificates rely on).  Building
up this "web of trust" requires open, but overseen keysigning parties... that
groups like ours should all be actively involved in.

The HOW (these are the directions that we used for the last couple of XCSSA
keysigning parties):
	http://xcssa.org/files/archives/XCSSA_2008-03-17.html

So far.. we seem to do around one per year or so.
We might be able to be convinced to do another if it would help more SATLUG
folks get with the program.. ;)

Tweeks
(I guess I should have signed this email.. but I'm too lazy to get up and go
get my signing fob.. :)