[SATLUG] Linux-Friendly Printers & Scanners

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 05:58:12 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Ian L. Target <ian69 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
<snip>

> I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the
> impression that one of the strong points of Linux was its ability to run
> old hardware?  Especially printers!  Did you actually try setting up the
> printer?  If yes, did you get any error messages?  Post them if you
> did.  Exactly what issues are you having with the printer?
>
> Ian
> --

The problem with some cheaper printers, particularly Lexmark, is that
they are "winprinters" (just like a winmodem).  These printers only
have enough intelligence to move the ink cartridge back and forth and
spit out ink .. all of the processing is done on the PC.  My mom
bought a Lexmark printer/copier/scanner that couldn't even make a copy
unless it was plugged into a PC.  Eventually there may be reliable
Linux drivers, but the printers are generally crappy to begin with, so
why bother?

The HP all-in-one systems are pretty solid in Linux, especially if
they have network printing built in already.  I even got the network
scanning to work on my OfficeJet 7310.

-Henry