[SATLUG] Linux-Friendly Printers & Scanners

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Mon Sep 15 06:30:35 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 13:43 -0500, Ian L. Target wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> > [requests opinions about all-in-one printer/scanner/fax machines
> > easier to set up with Linux than his current Lexmark]

> I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the
> impression that one of the strong points of Linux was its ability to run
> old hardware?  Especially printers!  Did you actually try setting up the
> printer?  If yes, did you get any error messages?  Post them if you
> did.  Exactly what issues are you having with the printer?

Lexmark printers have for years been the syadmin's bane.  I remember
having to buy and install MarkVision software on my UNIX servers to get
them to play nice with Lexmark printers, because the only drivers
Lexmark offered for them were for Windows.  This does not show a failing
of Linux any more than it does of commercial UNIX operating systems.

Only in the past few years has CUPS been able to set up Lexmark printers
as "Generic PostScript" with Foomatic and made those Redmond-centric
beasts useful.

I'll mirror others comments about how bog-simple it is to set up the HP
PSC all-in-ones in Linux - mine is several years old, and the Windows
Drivers CD takes about 25 minutes to install, but Linux sets up CUPS,
hplip, and Xsane drivers for it as soon as it's detected.

I've set up Brother and Dell printers with Linux at a lab on what was
Brooks AFB without much trouble, but Lexmarks have always given me
trouble.

Al Castanoli