[SATLUG] Installing PuppyLinux to Hard Drive?

Jim Wells jfw5cpa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:18:12 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Howard Haradon <hharadon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,  Perhaps some will recall the Everex GreenPC that
> I brought to the Aug. meeting to demo Ubuntu 8.04.1.
> I am now looking at changing it to Puppy as it gives good
> results on this low-performance PC.  I'm sure that much
> of the performance boost is due to running a live CD
> session in ram so now what steps will help keep this
> performance when changing over to a regular HD install?
> Clearly, I can just follow the procedure from the Puppy site,
> but wonder if there may be some tips on doing this?
> Nate, I know that you have a lot of experience
> with Puppy.

Howard,

Can't you just do a frugal install of Puppy?  I have a frugal install
on my machine at home & IIRC, it is basically loading the ISO like it
does when booting from a live CD.  Nathan can correct me if I'm wrong
on that.

I did a full install on a friend's low-end machine a few weeks ago &
he seems happy with it.  The only thing he has mentioned about is that
he's impressed with the speed of it.

Jim