[SATLUG] Linux-Friendly Printers & Scanners

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:33:00 CDT 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 09:36:38 Geoff wrote:
> John D Choate wrote:

> >> they're also the most inefficient and most expensive on ink.
> >>

> > There always has to be one party-pooper.
>
> just stating the facts, man...  Lexmark, and HP are -tough- on ink.  Of
> the two, HP doesn't tolerate ink refills very well.    Lexmark is a
> -little- better, but not much.  when the ink heads are clogged, it's
> time to chunk the thing and get a new printer,because the heads and/or
> cleaning them is more expensive than a new printer.

I should have included a smiley in my last post 'cause I was just having fun. :)

As far as print heads clogging up... most HP inkjets have the print head built in to the ink cartridge. So if it dries up, get a new ink cartridge and you're good to print again. No need to chuck the printer or pay for expensive repairs. That's a big reason their ink is pricey. After my past experiences with Epson, I'll never own one again because of the reasons you stated.