[SATLUG] Linux-Friendly Printers & Scanners

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:42:57 CDT 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Don Crowder wrote:
>> My experience is that just about any HP printer is essentially "Plug
>> and Play" in Linux and I've set up enough of them to represent a valid
>> sample.
>

> they're also the most inefficient and most expensive on ink.

Define "efficient".  HP printers cost me little or nothing at my
favorite flea market and remanufactured ink cartridges from abacus are
comparatively inexpensive.

http://www.abacus24-7.com/

My deskjet 950C cost me $12 and a pair of rebuilt cartridges from abacus
were less than $35 delivered, well over six months ago.  I don't know
how our printing needs could be met more economically.

Insofar as I know ink is too darn expensive no matter what brand of
printer you're using.

I don't have a brand preference if I'm setting up a printer for someone
though I do hope I can continue to avoid trying to setup a Lexmark
printer on a Linux system, but if someone asks me which printer I'd
recommend for ordinary home use I begin by asking if there are any
writers or photographers in the family.   If I get a negative to both
questions I recommend HP.  If I get a positive to either question I
recommend google. Take the time to do some research and, with luck,
learn from other people's mistakes before spending your own hard-earned
funds.

I picked up an HP Deskjet 3650 at a flea market a while back.  When I
pointed out that it didn't have a power supply they just gave it to me.
I bought a new "wall wart" on eBay for fourteen dollars and change
(delivered), hooked it up to a Debian machine, spent about five minutes
configuring it and printed a test page. The test page printed perfectly
(meaning the extant cartridges are still good) so I'm giving this one to
a teen-aged student to whom I gave a computer a few weeks ago.  If it
hadn't worked I'd probably have simply sold the power supply on eBay for
$12, buy now, with free shipping.

Most folks don't make a hobby of giving away computers and can't afford
the time it takes to acquire and test used hardware but that's part of
my point.  As knowledgeable computer users who are often asked for
assistance and/or advice by less knowledgeable users we have a
responsibility to produce an answer that's based on the user's needs
rather than our personal preferences and prejudices.  What works for me
may not work for you.  Linux can answer the needs of many (I'd go so far
as to say most), but not all computer users who nevertheless have widely
different requirements.  That's the coolest thing about Linux isn't it?