[SATLUG] gpg (deteriorating)

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Sep 16 09:38:20 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 19:05, Ian L. Target <ian69 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > Sorry about that... gmail makes it a little to easy to top post when
> writing
> > a quick message.  :)
> > If anyone knows a way to change the way gmail handles quoting I would
> love
> > to know.  I've looked all over the settings but haven't found it.

Not that I have found.  Zimbra has such a setting (My wife uses it for Email
Aggregation), but AFAIK gmail does not have a Top-v-Bottom post setting.

> I /hate/ web interfaces.

Agreed, although GMail and Zimbra (the best) are the best I've seen.

> One of the only redeeming qualities of Gmail is that it allows POP3/SMTP
> access,

I would argue that it's search, capacity, and cost are reasonably compelling
qualities as well.  Imap is ok, but due to the oddities of how gmail stores
data (labels) you may end up downloading more than one message (IMAP) or end
up organizing messages on your own (POP).  Neither is appealing.

> Do you ever use other email  programs such as Kmail, TB, Evolution, etc?

 The problem I have with a fat-client reader is portability.  With
Zimbra/GMail, I never even pine (hehe) for an Outlook/Evo/TB/Opera/etc.  The
portability problem makes me just "get used" to the web interface oddities,
but I know I can almost always (proxies non-withstanding) count on
consistent behavior.

I do however, use Zimbra Desktop (Win/Mac/Lin) for both GMail and Zimbra
access.  I am also stuck with Exchange/Outlook/OWA at my client's so that is
annoying.

Just my .02,
jp