[SATLUG] Linux Powered Mini-Notebooks

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:24:19 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Ernest De Leon <edeleonjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been a fan of this segment for a while now. I have an original EEEPC 2G
>> SURF model that I use frequently.  I can't begin to say how great it is to
>> throw the thing (in a sleeve) into my backpack when flying back and forth
>> between San Francisco and San Antonio. It's good to hear that the AA1 took
>> top honors, but they didn't review the new Dell Mini 9. I am a little pissed
>> off at Dell right now, but I think Dell may have a better overall offering
>> than Acer. I will have to look into that as I plan to replace the EEE soon.
>
> The only thing that I hate about the mini laptops are the keys are so
> dang small I can't fully type, rather two finger it and angle my index
> fingers.
>
> --
> Jeremy Mann
> jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

> Bioinformatics Core Facility
> http://www.bioinformatics.uthscsa.edu
> Phone: (210) 567-2672
> --

Interesting info for the "keyboard challenged" like me.
[How to buy a minilaptop]
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9113858
"4. Try out the keypad and make sure it's right for you.
None of the devices I tested had a better typing pad on a cheaper
netbook than Intel's ClassMate PC[1], which has a keypad far smaller
than the Eee PC 1000. Keys on the ClassMate PC's keyboard are raised
and there is a lot of space between them, making them easy to find by
touch.
By contrast, the Eee PCs, Wind and Elitegroup Computer Systems'
G10IL[2] designed their keypads with flat keys and little or no space
between the keys because, I was told by Elitegroup staff, it makes
them look nice.
The trouble is, it also makes typing more difficult.
I really liked the keypads on Acer's Aspire One[3] and Everex's
CloudBook Max[4], but the best keypad was on Hewlett-Packard's
Mini-Note[5]."
[1]http://www.intel.com/intel/worldahead/classmatepc/
[2]http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/NewsRoom/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=1133&MenuID=13&LanID=0
[3]http://www.acer.com/aspireone/