[SATLUG] Presidential Candidate Websites

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Sep 17 12:30:15 CDT 2008

Ernest De Leon wrote:

> Ah but so was I. I got into tech at a very young age...probably too young by
> most people's accounts. My uncle, a sysadmin for several decades now, bought
> me my first 'computer' at 5 years old.  It was a TI-99/4A which allowed you
> to play cartridges with games on them, or one cartridge with a basic
> interpreter.

I remember the TI-99/4A.  A friend of mine had one, and I was seriously
jealous.  All I had was a Commodore Vic-20, although I did have the external
tape drive and two memory expansion cartridges (one 8KB and one 16KB, the
latter of which caused the machine to move everything around in memory, so
you couldn't write position-dependent code).

I don't remember what he did with his TI, but I do recall he was able to do
a lot more with it than I could with my Vic-20.

Although, I do recall writing my own Adventure-style game as one of my first
programs on the computer -- which is how I got the 16KB expansion cartridge,
because the program was so huge that it couldn't fit into RAM with just the
8KB cartridge.