[SATLUG] Stopping an external hard drive

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 22:15:00 CDT 2008

I have an external NTFS hard-drive mounted to my system (to transfer
some files from a Windows system), and now that I want to unmount it, I
get an error message saying the device is busy.  When I look at the
running processes (ps -ef), I find nothing that refers to that device
(sdc1) or the mount point (/mnt/usb_drive).

How can stop whatever process is making the device busy or find out what
process is accessing that device?  I really don't want to just
disconnect it and risk corrupting something ...

Al Lesmerises