[SATLUG] investigating a UTSA install fest

Vinny Huckaba satlug at vinny.us
Thu Sep 18 14:15:21 CDT 2008

Here is the UTSA Linux fest info:

Where: UTSA 1604 Campus HSS 2.02.02 http://utsa.edu/maps/1604/
When: Saturday Sept. 20th 2008 at 10AM
Parking: visitors can park in any of the unmarked spaces on Saturday. There
will be plenty of parking on the South East side of campus by the Gym and
Rec Center. To get to the HSS, head N-N/E toward the UC and go up the giant
stairs, then enter the building on your left. We are in the Lab in the
middle of the building by the elevators/stairs.

First let me say that the fest has turned into more of a training and 101
for our helpdesk... and not the linux fest I initially wanted. Leave it to
the state to take something fun and turn it into training. I shouldn't
complain, at least we get to have some type of linux event.

The lab they moved us to only has 30 seats available, that are already
reserved for UTSA staff. =( We were not allowed to open this to faculty or
students because of the limited seating. If this one goes well, we can get a
bigger space, and invite many more people. I encourage SATLUG to come out,
and meet the folks at UTSA, watch the presentations, and exchange info. We
will be primarily installing CentOS 5 in the lab, but will have Ubuntu and a
few others to show off as well as the latest version of Solaris 10.

Agenda
time person description
10:00am John start the InstallFest and give an introduction to Linux
(Robots!)
10:30am All installing Linux (Ubuntu & CentOS)
12:00pm N/A Lunch
1:00pm N/A Lunch complete
1:15pm Kevin Basic commands (moving around the system)
1:45pm John Installing software (install software, adobe reader, flash
player)
2:00pm Mark Basic shell scripting (pipes, crontab, simple automation)
2:30pm N/A Break!
3:00pm Vinny Linux Multimedia (samba, xmms, mplayer, amarok, realplayer)
4:00pm John Linux networking / firewalling (VPN, iptables, ufw)
4:30pm Lori How to burn CDs in Linux (k3d)
5:00pm Ted Printing (cups)
5:30pm All wrap up
7:00pm N/A sign autographs @ hills