[SATLUG] Virtual Tape Library

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Sep 19 15:00:48 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:06, Sean I <siffland at nerdshack.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any Virtual Tape Library software for Linux, free
> and open-source.  HP and IBM and a few others make some for a nice
> chunk of change and they work well, but i want it for my own evil
> personal purposes and don't want to pay.
>
> Sean

Are you looking for VTL where an existing backup application is "presented"
a simulated tape library (Tapes, Drives, Robotics, etc)?  If so, I am not
familiar with any.  The closest thing that I can think of otherwise is
Amanda (Commercial: Zmanda.com, OSS: Amanda.org) that uses disk storage to
keep Tape segments, so it acts like tape using disk (kinda VTL-ly).

Can you expound a little bit on what you are looking for, so that I can
better understand VTL in your context?

Thanks!
jp