[SATLUG] Virtual Tape Library

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Sep 20 12:33:36 CDT 2008

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, John Pappas wrote:

> This one is a toughie.  The market is such that there is too much money in
> this segment to FOSS the solution.  I have used/implemented both DataDomain
> ($$$$) and Falconstor ($$$) for this purpose, but I have not found a FOSS
> tape emulator.

Certainly doable as a block device driver onto a spindle, but
is it worth the effort?  If not, in FOSS it does not get done
unless it finds a patron or a champion with the 'itch'

> Most backup products have introduced various implementations of D2D, but in
> a cross platform environment, this limits your media server selection
> (storage locations are not always cross platform) capabilities, or limits
> your throughput to network speeds, rather than SAN speeds/latency.

... at the price of adding a cache stageing spindle at the
local machine, the speed argument largely goes away ...

>> That way it can be bounced down to tape later by the backup utility
>> via tape copy easily if so desired.

... and if memory serves. Amanda is happy to spool out to tape
from a quiesent cache spindle, with initial source labelling
passed along.

Of course if bandwidth constrained, one is going to have to
have a 'backside' network for shuttling backup content _to_
the hosts with the drives pool, but Amanda handles that as
well.

-- Russ herrold