[SATLUG] Requesting CLI assitance.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Sep 21 16:58:35 CDT 2008

Don Crowder wrote:

> I deliberately try to make the online version resemble the plain text
> email version as closely as possible.  I have text2web set to omit any
> html headers or footers and to preserve the text file's formatting by
> preceding carriage returns with html breaks.

Just put everything inside of <pre></pre> tags, and all interior
formatting will be preserved.  Beyond that, all you should need are
like the e-mail message.

IMO, this issue has less to do with learning the CLI and more to do with
learning HTML formatting, because you could do the above with either CLI
or GUI tools, but the result you want to achieve would be exactly the same.

I'd recommend getting a good book on basic HTML and starting to learn
the formatting commands.

As for booting XP, if you installed VMware or one of those other
virtualization tools, you could run XP under Linux, and not have to
worry about actually booting or rebooting the physical machine.

I've just upgraded to version 2.0 of VMWare Fusion on my MacPro at work,
and it was actually pretty easy to install Solaris 10 x86/64 from the
ISO images I downloaded from the Sun website -- I didn't even use any of
the hundreds or thousands of pre-built VMWare "appliance" images that
you can download.

I'm anticipating that it will be pretty easy to install RHEL 5 (our
other primary server OS at work), as well as FreeBSD 7, and whatever
other Intel-based OSes that I want to play with, while leaving the
machine itself running Mac OS X 10.5.