[SATLUG] CLI issue resolved

Charles Hogan cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com
Mon Sep 22 16:56:15 CDT 2008

The # sign in the cli begins a comment.  Everything after it will be
ignored.  Your first post never showed the command you typed in that was
giving you issues, or any output errors.  Alternately you could have
also either escaped the # sign (\#) in the cli, or enclosed the filename
in quotes.  The same goes for whitespace in filenames when running from
the command line, either escape the whitespace, or enclose in quotes.

Quoting cli arguements with special characters or whitespace is barely
an afterthought for me now.  So unless I see someone doing otherwise, it
never even registers as a potential problem.

Had we seen the command you were trying to run, it probably would have
been quickly spotted.  Granted, you would have also been given the "and
if that doesn't work you could always..." with everyone talking about
their favorite books and tutorial sites and pointing you towards their
favorite cli text editor.  The "if that doesn't work..."  stuff would
not have been because of anal-retentiveness, but because txt2html,
(while it may be perfectly wonderful at what it does), is obviously not
a tool commonly used by everyone in these parts, and our desire to give
you some sort of solution.

Oh, by the way, my favorite html tutorial site is
http://www.w3schools.com/ and you've heard the rest from everyone else.
(sorry, couldn't help myself :) )

Charlie