[SATLUG] Re: now help with raid setup on linuxmce box

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Sep 23 07:14:29 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 17:58 -0500, John Pappas wrote:
> Your discussion below includes ZERO redundancy.  RAID 0=No Redundancy.  My
> suggestions inline below:
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 13:11, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
> >
> > In this particular box I will have 2 320 gig and 2 500 gig drives.  with my
> > raid I want it all redundancy, as much
> > space as possible and speed.
>

> How does this sound:  Partition up the 500GB disks like so:
> SDx1 = 128MB RAID (Linux fd = raid autodetect) Bootable
> SDx2 = 6GB RAID (linux fd)
> SDx3 = ~174GB RAID (linux fd)
> SDx4 = 320GB RAID (linux fd)
>
> Then set up /dev/md0 with RAID 1 (Mirror) with the SDx1 partitions for
> /boot, set up /dev/md1 with RAID 1 using SDx2 for SWAP, set up /dev/md3 with
> RAID 1 using SDx3 for LVM (LVs: root, var, home), and SDx4 and the SDx1 from
> the 320's for a 4 disk RAID 5 Array (/dev/md4) using the 2x 320Gb disks and
> 2x 320GB Partitions.  Then LVM  That would net ~960GB of protected media
> storage and 174GB of protected storage for system and user files.  You could
> then set up LVM on md4 to allocate as needed, or just have it be one big
> file system (ie /video or the like).
>

> > I know that I cant have it all (i dont have the $$) so I am trying to
> > figure out a strategy....I was thinking of
> > doing a raid0 of 2x320 = 640 and a raid0 of 2x500 = 1tb then lvm the two
> > raid arrays for approximately 1.64 tb.

I thought of something like this but was warry.  I seem to remember a
discussion on this topic a while back that trongly discouraged setting
up multiple raids on the same drives.  Are there any particular worries
that I need be aware of?  I know that if I have a failure of one of the
500 GB drives getting it replaced will be real complicated.  Are there
strategies for addressing this now so as to make my life easier then?

Todd