[SATLUG] Hardware configuration information

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Sep 24 12:54:30 CDT 2008

Jim Parkhurst wrote:
> I have a challenge to obtain the hardware and software configuration of systems. What I am looking for is a tool/utility to probe and report the hardware - cpu, memory, drives, controllers, etc. A "dump to file" is usable as I can filter the noise (better too much than too little information at data collection!). Something in a bootable CD flavor?

Others have given you the utilities under most Linux distros that
provide you all that can be determined of the present detected hardware
when run from a CLI.

I am to noob to be of much help but the cheapest supplier, and I do not
mind recommending them from personal experience with couple dozen CDs, I
have found for Linux CD/DVDs is:
http://www.discountlinuxdvd.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4
You can find brief info on the offered distro and if it is bootable. I
use Ubuntu desktop edition CD, also Puppy, Knoppix, they are bootable.
Of course there are dozens of others. You can choose what distro you
prefer and go to that site to DL and burn your own or order for the
price of a beer.

Discount just offered a rescue CD for .89 and I just ordered it to play
with. Anyway good luck
herb