[SATLUG] Hardware configuration information

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:07:03 CDT 2008

Jim Parkhurst wrote:
> I have a challenge to obtain the hardware and software configuration of systems. What I am looking for is a tool/utility to probe and report the hardware - cpu, memory, drives, controllers, etc. A "dump to file" is usable as I can filter the noise (better too much than too little information at data collection!). Something in a bootable CD flavor?

Do a Google on Trinity Resource Kit (TRK) - a Linux-based evaluation and
recovery tool.  Its a bootable image you can download free.  I use it
back-to-back with a Knoppix Live disk to troubleshoot both Linux and
Windoze systems. (Also, get the StumbleUpon toolbar for Firefox, and
just once, set the parameters to seek only Linux.  You might be
surprised to see what you can find.  I got TRK that way...)

Cheers;
Ed