[SATLUG] re: Off-topic - cancel texas.net suggestions ? /VMware question

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Sep 26 11:44:32 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 07:01, Brian McKinney <mckinneyb at gmail.com> wrote:

> > VMware question: Is it better to use VMWare player or server, since
> > they're both "free" to use.
>
> As Ernest already said earlier, player is the way to go if you already
> have pre-built virtual machines to use.  However, server is much more
> flexible than player and is the better choice if one of your goals is
> learning the installation process of multiple OS's.

The major differentiator between server and player is the ability to create
and manipulate VMs.  Player has no GUI for this, and must have a "template"
as player cannot build a from-scratch VM.  You can easily manipulate the VMX
(config) file with vi or such to change things, but most people want GUI
manageabilty.  If you are loading on a stationary machine, go with server,
don't even mess with player.  On a laptop it is a little less clear cut, as
the interface for Server (especially with the 2.0 release) is wonky for a
mobile platform.  I say this because player runs as an "all in one" app
window, where server has separate management interfaces (v2 has VIC, Web,
Browser Plugins, v1 has "Server Console" and a web MUI that you may install
on the server in a separate step)

I assume cost is the issue, as Workstation is fantastic and I now can't
imagine a system without it (Having bought it first in 1998 and not looking
back).  Parallels is OK, but Workstation is more mature/robust.

> That being said, VMware has a wonderful appliance repository filled with
> pre-built
> virtual machines for free download that should work with VMware player.
>  It's an awesome resource:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

Agreed.  You can also Google for VM appliances, as well as rPath rBuilder
Online (http://www.rpath.com/rbuilder/).  Many software vendors now also
bundle VMs image as standard releases, if you are looking for a specific
app.

HTH,
jp