[SATLUG] Common Fonts Repository

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:58:53 CDT 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008 22:43:25 ed wrote:
> Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> > I know that for each user, there is a hidden ".Fonts" directory that
> > can be used for custom fonts, but I have not been able to find a
> > location for a common repository for fonts that would be available to
> > everyone.  Does anyone know where I should look?  I'm running OpenSUSE
> > 10.3.  TIA.
> >
> > Al Lesmerises
> >
> Look under /usr/share - in the same main directory that holds all your
> icon folders.  There are several font selections available to my system
> there...
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

Yes, check '/usr/share/fonts' and also check '/usr/local/share/fonts' (for Suse, probably here), that is where you will find fonts available to all users... any fonts in that path need to be added as root. Obviously, .ttf fonts will be found in the TTF subdirectory.

You can also install custom fonts for each individual user, in case one user wants fonts that other users don't want:
If you use KDE:  /home/username/.kde/share/fonts
For Gnome: /home/username/.gnome2/share/fonts  or  /home/username/.gnome/share/fonts