[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 16:33:26 CDT 2008

Borries Demeler wrote:
> [...]
>
> I don't know about Ed's suggestion to run lshw, this command doesn't
> exist on my system, maybe it is something Ubuntu specific. The standard
> command for finding out what hardware is installed on your computer,
> including the video card, is "lspci". Run this as root from the command
> line and look for the line that lists the VGA/Video adaptor. Make a note
> of the make and model and go to the manufacturer's website to get the latest driver
> for it.

lshw, or List Hardware, is debian specific (includes Ubuntu), lists all
hardware on-board via the command line, and can be installed via
Synaptic.  lspci, or List PCI only covers PCI hardware.  Both have
in-dept man pages desctiptions, including the switches and protocols.

hardinfo can also be installed from synaptic.  hardinfo, entered on the
command line, pops up a gui that provides all kinds of system hardware
information in an easily readable format.

You can also download and install a package from SourceForge called SysInfo.

Cheers;
Ed