[SATLUG] Re: re: Off-topic - cancel texas.net suggestions ? /VMware question (John Pappas)

robert marshall rmarsharmarsharmarsha at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 23:51:26 CDT 2008

In Vol. 56, Issue 49, "John Pappas" <j at jvpappas.net>  said:

> I assume cost is the issue, as Workstation is fantastic and I now can't
> imagine a system without it (Having bought it first in 1998 and not looking
> back).  Parallels is OK, but Workstation is more mature/robust.

I heartily agree that Workstation is a fantastic product and I "learned" VMware by buying a copy of Workstation back in 2004. At that time, the cost ($80) seemed to make it a great deal. However,  when I wanted to do virtual testing of clusters, I found out that Workstation did not support clustering while Server would. Also, Server won't install if Workstation is already installed. Fortunately, I had another machine that I could install Server on, and I was able to build a virtual Linux-based Oracle RAC cluster within Server on a Windows XP machine. Every other application that I have virtualized "hosted", however, has been with Workstation (that is, not counting bare-metal ESX apps).