[SATLUG] Need More Resolution (Ubuntu 8.04)

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Sep 27 20:32:33 CDT 2008

> Rearrangement didn't work.  But, I think the log hit pay dirt.  Here is a fragment:
>
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1024x576" (width too large for virtual size)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "960x600" (width too large for virtual size)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "1024x512" (width too large for virtual size)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "852x480" (width too large for virtual size)
> (II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "848x480" (width too large for virtual size)
> (--) VESA(0): Virtual size is 800x600 (pitch 800)
> (**) VESA(0): *Built-in mode "800x600"
> (**) VESA(0):  Built-in mode "720x576"
> (**) VESA(0):  Built-in mode "720x540"
> (**) VESA(0):  Built-in mode "800x480"
> (**) VESA(0):  Built-in mode "720x480"
> (**) VESA(0):  Built-in mode "640x480"
> (==) VESA(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
>
> So, the virtual size seems to be the problem, but I don't have a clue what to do about it.

No, it has nothing to do with the virtual size. As far as VESA compliance is concerned,
your card appears to only be able to do 800x600 max in VESA mode. We already knew that,
because you couldn't get any higher than that. I am surprised.

So, in order to use the higher resolutions you NEED a special driver provided by the
manufacturer (as I said before). You can try the svga driver, it may get you up to
1024x768 if you are lucky. The place to go seems to be:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=35&CatID=2830&SubCatID=164

Another issue is the monitor: Can you post the make and model? Or the refresh rates
for different resolutions? Maybe you have a widescreen monitor and those resolutions
could possibly not be supported for your card/driver combination.

Install the VIA driver and let us know if this one gives you higher res.

-Borries