[SATLUG] "Out of Range"

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 27 22:46:42 CDT 2008

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:05:36 -0700 (PDT), Arthur Hall
<art.hall at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>An older PC that we donated to a refugee family has Xandros 3.02 as its
>operating system.  After a few days of operating normally, when a
>user tries to boot up and enters his/her password, they get a screen
>that says "out of range."  I have reloaded the OS, thinking it
>might have had a problem introduced the first time around.  Now
>it's doing it again and I'm hoping one of the "resident Linux wizards"
>can help me locate and solve the problem.  Thanks in advance for
>the help.

Shot in the dark here, but...

Is this a normal error message or is the video monitor complaining about the
horizontal and vertical settings? I have an old monitor that gets cranky
sometimes and does that. Can you try a better video monitor temporarily?

If the resolution/refresh rate is at fault, and since it shows up after
login, I'd look for user settings [/home/<username>/.<whatever>] for X and
friends (kdm/gdm) that may be switching resolution for the desktop. Did you
preserve /home when you reinstalled the OS?  --Don