[SATLUG] "Out of Range"

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Sep 27 22:57:33 CDT 2008

> An older PC that we donated to a refugee family has Xandros 3.02 as its
> operating system.  After a few days of operating normally, when a
> user tries to boot up and enters his/her password, they get a screen
> that says "out of range."  I have reloaded the OS, thinking it
> might have had a problem introduced the first time around.  Now
> it's doing it again and I'm hoping one of the "resident Linux wizards"
> can help me locate and solve the problem.  Thanks in advance for
> the help.
>

> P.S.  Another PC that we donated at the same time has the same OS and, to date, has shown no problem.  Thanks again.

THe best advice here is to go on the web and get the vertical and horizontal
sync rates of the monitor and enter them in to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
in section Monitor:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30.0-82.0
VertRefresh 50.0-75.0
EndSection

Chances are they aren't probed correctly and the current xorg.conf sets it outside
the monitor's capability. Setting the values manually should take care of the
problem.

-Borries