[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 15:00:29 CDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 16:33 -0500, ed wrote:
>
>> > [...]
>
>> hardinfo can also be installed from synaptic.  hardinfo, entered on the
>> command line, pops up a gui that provides all kinds of system hardware
>> information in an easily readable format.
>
> Too bad I left Mensa in 1982 - they'd have been facinated in how
> hardinfo reported my system's computing the 42nd Fibonacci number was so
> much faster than a 1.5 GHz Celeron M[1].  Fascinating.
>
> [1] -CPU Fibonacci-
> <i>This Machine</i>                                     : 5.962
> Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.50GHz         : 8.1375674
> PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)                             : 58.07682
>
> Al Castanoli

I thought the brain was the only physical thing that improves with age?

My favorite Linux hardware identification system tool is:
[from Synaptic Package Manager - Ubuntu 8.04]
hwinfo is the hardware detection tool used in SuSE Linux. (I ran SUSE
and openSUSE for years)
In Debian-Edu (Skolelinux) hwinfo has shown better results than discover when
detecting mouse, keyboard and monitor.
hwinfo collects information about the hardware installed on a system.  Among
others, libhd contains information about cdrom, zip, floppy, disks and
partitions, network card, graphics card, monitor, camera, mouse, sound, pppoe,
isdn, modem, printer, scanner, bios, cpu, usb, memory and smp.
This package does not include the binaries hwscan, hwscand and hwscanqueue. If
you think one or more of these should be included in the package, please
contact the maintainer at hwinfo at packages.debian.org.

"lshw" seems to be catching on as an "across Linux" standard so it has
better support than "hwinfo".
The feature/function set is reduced on non-SUSE platforms because of this.
Sometimes I have to run all the tools I can find to get answers that
then have to be interpolated to get accurate results.

The best tool I have ever seen only runs on Windows.
http://www.belarc.com/

Robert