[SATLUG] "Out of Range"

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 15:10:09 CDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

>> An older PC that we donated to a refugee family has Xandros 3.02 as its
>> operating system.  After a few days of operating normally, when a
>> user tries to boot up and enters his/her password, they get a screen
>> that says "out of range."  I have reloaded the OS, thinking it
>> might have had a problem introduced the first time around.  Now
>> it's doing it again and I'm hoping one of the "resident Linux wizards"
>> can help me locate and solve the problem.  Thanks in advance for
>> the help.
>>

>> P.S.  Another PC that we donated at the same time has the same OS and, to date, has shown no problem.  Thanks again.
>
> THe best advice here is to go on the web and get the vertical and horizontal
> sync rates of the monitor and enter them in to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
> in section Monitor:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> Option "DPMS"
> HorizSync 30.0-82.0
> VertRefresh 50.0-75.0
> EndSection
>
> Chances are they aren't probed correctly and the current xorg.conf sets it outside
> the monitor's capability. Setting the values manually should take care of the
> problem.
>
> -Borries

I agree with both Don and Borries good advice.
A third case is the monitor has failed or is failing.
I got that "Out of Range" message frequently after every reboot. It
was worse with some Linux OS's than others.
The monitor did not work at all with some Linuxes even after manually
setting the "xorg.conf".
I assume this is due to different ability levels of probe software.
For example, that monitor works fine on Windows. Go figure?
That monitor is now retired.

Robert