[SATLUG] Upgrading a hard disk

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Sep 28 18:22:33 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I have a 30G drive in my laptop that I want to update to a 60G drive
> that I have.  I would like to keep the data that I have.  There really
> isn't much problem on the Linux side, but I would like to also transfer
> a Win partition and I'm not sure how to do that.  The NTFS partition is
> now 3G and I'd also like to resize it to 10G.  Are there alternatives to
> partition magic for this?

It seems to me that the best way to do this kind of thing is to set up
the new hard drive as an externally attached drive on the laptop, and
get it configured the way you want.  Then copy over the data from the
internal hard drive, and then crack the case on the external hard drive
and swap the mechanisms with the internal drive.  Keep the old
internal-now-external drive as a backup for a while, as you break in the
new drive.

I've done this kind of upgrade several times on my machines over the
years.  I've recently upgraded from a 160GB to a 320GB hard drive
myself, using precisely this technique.

It's easier to do if you buy the new drive "bare" and then buy a
separate enclosure that you use for it, so that you can be sure you can
take it apart again easily, and you know exactly what kind of upgrade
hard drive you're going to be putting into your machine.  Otherwise, you
have to scout around when you're looking at buying external hard drives
and see what kind of cases look like they're easy to open, and try to
find out what kind of mechanism they have inside.