[SATLUG] Upgrading a hard disk

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 18:42:18 CDT 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> I have a 30G drive in my laptop that I want to update to a 60G drive
>> that I have.  I would like to keep the data that I have.  There really
>> isn't much problem on the Linux side, but I would like to also
>> transfer a Win partition and I'm not sure how to do that.  The NTFS
>> partition is now 3G and I'd also like to resize it to 10G.  Are there
>> alternatives to partition magic for this?
>
> It seems to me that the best way to do this kind of thing is to set up
> the new hard drive as an externally attached drive on the laptop, and
> get it configured the way you want.  Then copy over the data from the
> internal hard drive, and then crack the case on the external hard drive
> and swap the mechanisms with the internal drive.

Yes, I can do this for the Linux partitions without problems.  I could also just
tar the files to another system and extract them to the new drive partitions.
I've done this before and it works fine.

The problem is Windows (isn't it always?).  Windows is sensitive to position on
the disk and doesn't really have an equivalent to tar that moves everything
including hidden files, permissions, etc.  That's where I need some advice.

   -- Bruce