[SATLUG] Upgrading a hard disk

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Sep 28 20:02:21 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The problem is Windows (isn't it always?).  Windows is sensitive to
> position on the disk and doesn't really have an equivalent to tar that
> moves everything including hidden files, permissions, etc.  That's where
> I need some advice.

I'm confused.  I thought that typical Windows backup and restore
utilities would take care of that for you?

It seems to me that you should be able to do a backup of the existing
Windows partition to one partition on the other drive, then restore from
that backup in the location where you want the primary Windows partition
on the final configuration.

Then you could potentially get rid of the Windows backup partition on
the new drive, and free up some disk space for the Linux stuff.  Or keep
it, if it's only 3GB, since that might come in handy in the future.