[SATLUG] Need more resolution choices

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 22:53:59 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 15:00 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:

> >> hardinfo can also be installed from synaptic.  hardinfo, entered on the
> >> command line, pops up a gui that provides all kinds of system hardware
> >> information in an easily readable format.

> > Too bad I left Mensa in 1982 - they'd have been facinated in how
> > hardinfo reported my system's computing the 42nd Fibonacci number was so
> > much faster than a 1.5 GHz Celeron M[1].  Fascinating.

> > [1] -CPU Fibonacci-
> > <i>This Machine</i>                                     : 5.962
> > Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor         1.50GHz         : 8.1375674
> > PowerPC 740/750 (280.00MHz)                             : 58.07682

> I thought the brain was the only physical thing that improves with age?

> My favorite Linux hardware identification system tool is:
> [from Synaptic Package Manager - Ubuntu 8.04]
> hwinfo is the hardware detection tool used in SuSE Linux. (I ran SUSE
> and openSUSE for years)
> In Debian-Edu (Skolelinux) hwinfo has shown better results than discover when
> detecting mouse, keyboard and monitor.
> hwinfo collects information about the hardware installed on a system.  Among
> others, libhd contains information about cdrom, zip, floppy, disks and
> partitions, network card, graphics card, monitor, camera, mouse, sound, pppoe,
> isdn, modem, printer, scanner, bios, cpu, usb, memory and smp.
> This package does not include the binaries hwscan, hwscand and hwscanqueue. If
> you think one or more of these should be included in the package, please
> contact the maintainer at hwinfo at packages.debian.org.

> "lshw" seems to be catching on as an "across Linux" standard so it has
> better support than "hwinfo".
> The feature/function set is reduced on non-SUSE platforms because of this.
> Sometimes I have to run all the tools I can find to get answers that
> then have to be interpolated to get accurate results.

> The best tool I have ever seen only runs on Windows.
> http://www.belarc.com/

> Robert

I use hwinfo on my Ubuntu UE boxen, and installed it last week when I
booted the Knoppix 5.3 Live DVD (using boot: knoppix toram) while
repairing a 4 dual-core CPU server on the left coast last week.  The
twelve RAIDED SCSI drives were munged, and hwinfo allowed me to
determine the drives were the same for each RAID volume without having
to yank them all out of the cabinet.  The advantage to using the live
DVD rather than the CD was I was able to control the tape library with
mtx, which doesn't come on the CD.  Funny thing about Knoppix, though -
it doesn't discriminate between multicores and separate processors when
booting up, so it shows 8 penguins across the top of the monitor screen
with 4 dual-cores, just like it does on a pair of quad-cores.

Al Castanoli