[SATLUG] Upgrading a hard disk

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 23:34:36 CDT 2008

HOLD THE PHONE ...  It's not that easy!

I just went through a situation very similar to this just a week and a
half ago.  Now it is easy to run gparted or some other Linux-based
utility to set-up the partitions, then use a live CD distro (I happened
to used Knoppix) to mount the partitions and copy the files over, but
Windows still won't like it.  When it sets-up the information in the
registry for which drive will be the boot drive, what drive letters are
assigned to various other partitions, CD/DVD drives, etc., it looks at
the drive itself (serial numbers or something equivalent) and will choke
if it finds that you're running Windows from a drive different from the
one where it was installed originally.  After I copied the files from
the Windows partition to the new drive (the situation described above),
I still wound-up having to reinstall Windows again, the install all the
updates all over again, then reinstall several of the applications.  And
then I still had to go in and do a lot of manual editing of the $@%$^&%!
registry.

The Windows backup utilities don't backup everything you need to restore
it to another drive the way it was because there are so many files that
are locked so Windows can read & write to them exclusively -- the backup
programs can't access those files.

I think you might be much better off starting with a clean install from
scratch -- at least you won't be burdened with all the crap that has
accumulated since that copy of Windows was installed the last time.

Al Lesmerises