[SATLUG] backups

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Apr 6 09:06:38 CDT 2009

I had a basic question:

Right now, I back up my laptop on a backup drive using rsync, here is the script:
(the backup drive is mounted on /mnt)

#!/bin/sh
DATE=`date +%m%d%y`
TARGET=/mnt
LOGFILE=$TARGET/tmp/laptop.$DATE.log
ERRORFILE=$TARGET/tmp/laptop.$DATE.err
echo "" >> $LOGFILE
echo "" >> $LOGFILE
echo synchronizing $x on `date`: >> $LOGFILE
echo "" >> $LOGFILE
rsync -av --delete --no-whole-file --exclude="media" --exclude="proc" \
--exclude="sys" --exclude="mnt" --exclude="tmp" / $TARGET/. >> $LOGFILE 2>> $ERRORFILE

This script simply overwrites changed files, adds new files, and deletes what's no
longer there to create an identical copy. Directories I am not interested in
backing up are excluded.

Now I would like to change this to permit incremental backups. Basically,
I would like to keep changes (until I run out of diskspace) and always the
latest version in an identical copy.

How could I change the script or use some kind of open source backup software
that can accomplish this? It would be nice to have some sort of backup manager.
I would like to just save the diffs, perhaps archived and compressed to save
space, bu be able to go back several versions. WHat would you all recommend?

Thanks, -b.