[SATLUG] backups

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Apr 6 09:59:03 CDT 2009

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Borries Demeler
> <demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:
>
> > How could I change the script or use some kind of open source backup software
> > that can accomplish this? It would be nice to have some sort of backup manager.
> > I would like to just save the diffs, perhaps archived and compressed to save
> > space, bu be able to go back several versions. WHat would you all recommend?
>
> Bo, I can give you a copy of rsync-incr. I used that on the HSCville
> server for their weekly incremental backups... Basically it works with
> 1 working directory, then x number of directories for how many days
> you want to keep incrementally. The first one gets removed when the x
> number of days have been reached.

That sounds good. I suppose somewhere there is a complete base copy. That base
copy, is that the latest version of the first version? I would like it to be the
latest version, if possible, to avoid having to restore x numbers of intermediates
to get back to the latest version in case of a catastrophal loss.

-b.