[SATLUG] Time Warner Corralling bandwidth use

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Tue Apr 7 18:34:16 CDT 2009

I found this quote online about grande:

"The other broadband provider in Austin, Grande Communications, does
not engage in bandwidth metering and has no plans to do so, Chief
Operating Officer Scott Ferguson said. Ferguson said Grande’s
all-fiber-optic network has fewer bandwidth constraints than other
providers’."

All the petitions in the world is not going to stop this, the only way
to send a true message is to drop time Warner, and i am not talking
about just dropping cable modem, cable and phone too.  I had heard in
the same article "rumors" that at&t was going to cap it also but at
150GB or 250GB.  I wish i could find the article again but i also read
(I was pissed when i heard about this, fsck time Warner) they were not
going to implement caps in big cities where they are in direct
competition with Verizon's Fios (i think that is it).  Because they
cannot compete with it to begin with.

I am not even going to wait to switch and i will be sure to tell them
why i am dropping them.  I loved grande when i could get service from
them.  I don't like at&t but i don't think their caps will be as
pathetic at time warners, 40GB, the kids watching netflix is going to
kill that and renting paid per view, 2 of the last 3 times i have
tired to get one i get service not available.

I best stop here, the other sysadmins had to hear me go on for an hour
about this last week.  So just remember if you drop them let them know
why you did.....55 bucks for 40GB's.......

Sean